I’m a freelance writer, translator, and editor based in Berkeley. I was born in Taiwan and raised in Hong Kong. I translate poetry and fiction from Chinese into English, write literary criticism, and construct crosswords. I graduated from the University of Chicago with Honors in English and Comparative Literature in June 2019. Thank you for visiting my site!
- “Requiem” (poem suite) by Yuen Che-hung (“Uncle Hung”), PROJECT21st 廿一檔 x Tai Kwun Contemporary, November 2020—January 2021
- “Housework” (poem) by Chung Kwok-keung, Circumference, Fall 2020
- “On Translating Chung Kwok-keung and the Language of Hong Kong Protests” (poems and translator’s notes), Asymptote (reached 1.5K+ retweets / 1.6K likes on Twitter), January 2020
- “Sestina” and “Mosquitoes” (poems) by Chung Kwok-keung, Exchanges: Journal of Literary Translation, December 2018
- “Chicago” (poem) by Ya Hsien, Brooklyn Rail: InTranslation, September 2017
- “How the Best Masters Died” (short story) by Ma Xiaoquan, Pathlight
- “On Sestinas and Literary Translation,” Words Without Borders, February 2021
- Review of Flèche by Mary Jean Chan, Hong Kong Review of Books, January 2020
- Review of Reenactments by Hai-Dang Phan, Hong Kong Review of Books, September 2019
- Review of Deep Breaths: Collected Poems of Mi Jialu 1981-2018, Cha: An Asian Literary Journal, August 2018
- Review of Days When I Hide my Corpse in a Cardboard Box by Lok Fung, tr. Eleanor Goodman, Hong Kong Review of Books, July 2019
- “More Than Looking: Translation as Imagination,” The Oswald Review, August 2018
- J. M. Coetzee on Growing Up, Reading, and the Importance of Doubt, Chicago Maroon, October 15, 2018
- Cecilia Vicuña Arms her Art with an Artillery of Words, Chicago Maroon, April 9, 2018
- Catching Up With Ta-Nehisi Coates, Chicago Maroon, October 23, 2017
- “Swinging Out of Writing,” Midway Review, Spring 2017
- Read all of my Chicago Maroon publications (2015-2018) here
Editing and Commissions
I have created, copyedited, and translated publicity materials, brand guidelines, educational content, manuscripts, reader’s reports, and other kinds of writing for a range of clients. Institutions I have worked with in the past include the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, the University of Chicago Lab School, the Hong Kong International Photo Festival, and more. To get in touch or request a work sample, please feel free to send an email via my contact page.
- Copyedited the 2019 Admissions brochure for the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- Created two translation dossiers for the University of Chicago Lab School spotlighting the poems “Diary: I simply exist here” (我僅僅存在於此) by Yu Xiuhua (余秀華) and “Nostalgia” (鄉愁) by Yu Guangzhong (余光中), November 2019. Was invited to deliver a lecture on literary translation to students in December 2019.
- Translated a poem for the anonymous collective **PROPAGANDA DEPARTMENT to be displayed at the 2019 Singapore Biennale
- 2020 Honorable Mention for Gulf Coast Prize in Translation
- 2020 Awarded an American Literary Translators Association (ALTA) Emerging Translator Mentorship to workshop and publish my translations of Hong Kong poetry
- 2019 Received Janel Mueller Undergraduate Thesis Prize for my thesis on Chicago and Hong Kong poetry
- 2019 Selected by College Center for Research and Fellowships to present at Undergraduate Research Week
- 2019 Awarded Dean’s Fund to present Comparative Literature research at UC Berkeley
- 2018 Awarded UChicago Arts Student Summer Fellowship to pursue poetry and translation; attended the ALTA conference in November 2018
- 2015 Won Cha: An Asian Literary Journal’s Hong Kong Poetry Contest
- “Someplace that looks like home,” The Kindling Journal, Issue 6
- “Unwomanly” and “Mei Mei,” Feminine Inquiry, 2015, Fall Issue 2
- “Hong Kong,” Cha: An Asian Literary Journal (winner of the 2015 Hong Kong Poetry Contest; republished in Voice & Verse Poetry Magazine, Issue 39-40; translated by Liang Tianwen for Voices & Verse Issue 43).